Mom thinks her son has an ear infection – then doctors see his fingers and panic: “put him on life support immediately!” Parents urge everyone to be more cautious of this.
When son Archie was born, mother and father were very happy. Josh Roberts and Katelyn Galea never thought that their child would have health problems.
One day, they noticed Archie’s mouth turned gray after he suffered from what doctors dubbed a not-very-serious ear infection. Unaware of what was going on, they rushed him to the hospital, and it was a 40-minute drive that felt like an eternity.
The doctors were surprised when they saw the boy’s fingers turning purple.
They immediately took him to do some tests that revealed that the little one had a potentially fatal meningococcal infection, a disease which refers to any illness caused by the bacteria Neisseria meningitides.
Unfortunately, these illnesses can be fatal and include infections of the lining of the brain and spinal cord (meningitis) and bloodstream.
His case was very difficult and was treated with antibiotics. The doctors did not know if he would survive or not.
“This is something you only read about in the paper or see in the news. You would never expect it to hit someone so healthy and so happy,” Archie’s dad wrote on Facebook. “This is one of the hardest times I have ever had to deal with. I have never loved something or someone with such passion and love. It doesn’t matter if you are the toughest person on this planet walking into that hospital room and seeing you as this rips me apart.”
After a period of time, Archie stabilized and was taken out of the incubator. Many people became aware of it and started collecting money.
Today, Archie is doing well, but he’s still in the process of complete recovery.
His parents are grateful to everyone who stepped in when they needed it the most. But most of all, they are grateful for Archie’s fighting spirit.